Part-4 : We will convert a non - CDB 22.214.171.124 database into a CDB and create a PDB.
Part-5 : We will upgrade the 126.96.36.199 database to 188.8.131.52
184.108.40.206 or higher
- Ensure that all database components/objects provided by Oracle are VALID in the source database prior to starting the upgrade.
- Ensure that you do not have duplicate objects in the SYS and SYSTEM schema.
- Disable any custom triggers that would fire before/after DDL and enable them after the upgrade is complete.
- In 11g, Creation of ACLs with timestamp with timezone datatype does not fail but migrating the same in 12c it fails with "ORA-01830: date format picture ends before converting entire input string" error
Please refer Note 1958876.1 Upgrade to 12.1 fails with ORA-01830 date format picture ends before converting entire input string ORA-06512: at "SYS.XS_OBJECT_MIGRATION"
- Patch requirements BEFORE upgrade ,to avoid the ORA-7455 error while running the datapump after the upgrade . Please see Note 2017572.1 ORA-7445 [qcsIsColInFro] Querying After Upgrade to 12c
In both 11.2 as in 12.1 concurrency is disabled by default for both manual and automatic statistics gathering. If the database requires changing this value back to the original setting, do this after the upgrade.
Step 3 : Check for the integrity of the source database.
This will help to determine the status of the database before and after upgrade.
$ sqlplus / as sysdba
sql> alter session set nls_language='American';
Step 4 : Pre-Upgrade Steps
- Run the Pre-Upgrade Information Tool from the environment of the database that will be upgraded.
emctl stop dbconsole
Remove Enterprise Manager Database Control repository :
4.1 Deprecated CONNECT Role
Update Access Control Lists and Network Utility Packages
Database Links with Passwords from Earlier Releases
During the upgrade to Oracle Database 12c any passwords in database links are encrypted.
To downgrade to the original release, all of the database links with encrypted passwords must be dropped prior to the downgrade.
Consequently, the database links do not exist in the downgraded database.
If you anticipate a requirement to be able to downgrade to your original release, then save the information about affected database links from the SYS.LINK$ table, so that you can re-create the database links after the downgrade.
Save Database Control Files and Data with the emdwgrd Utility
The emdwgrd utility can be used to keep a copy of your database control files and data before upgrading your database.
The emdwgrd utility resides in the ORACLE_HOME/bin directory in the Oracle Database 12c home.
1. Set ORACLE_HOME to your old Oracle Home
2. Set ORACLE_SID to the SID of the database being upgraded.
3. Set PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH and SHLIB_PATH to point to the Oracle home from which the database is being upgraded.
4. Change directory to Oracle Database 12c home.
5. Run the emdwgrd command.
a. Run the following command for single instance database:
Ensure That No Files Need Media Recovery Before Upgrading
Disable all batch and cron jobs
Run olspreupgrade.sql :
- Stop the listener for the database.
Create a new listener and spfile for Oracle Database 12c Release 1 (12.1) database
Take full backup before upgrade:
start the DB in upgrade mode:
COMPATIBLE Initialization Parameter
When you are certain that you no longer need the ability to downgrade your database to its original release